Author Topic: SS VS ?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

• Testing
SS VS ?
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:28:40 am »
Copper with Nickel is an Alloy, it does not Corrode. It is used For Condensers which works best when submerged 6 foot into the lake, or pond. Research this alloy, try and find a tube or something and compare it to ss, Can also check a Local heating and cooling repair shop for a Sample, Tell them its an condenser/evaporator normally submurged 6 foot under, salvage a piece.   

• Administrator
    • water structure and science
Re: SS VS ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:09 am »
Hi Warp

Never never ever will i use copper in my platecell again....
Maybe only on the outside electrodes where no electrolyte is.
But never inside in contact with electrolyte.
It makes a mess of your SS plates and you can grind all yr plates to get ride of the copper junk on them.

Steve

• Testing
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 21:15:01 pm »
lol.

I understand, But this is an alloy, it has copper in it, Like stainless steel has stuff in it as well, Like that. It is Copper and Nickel Alloy so i am unsure what it may look like.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 17:18:46 pm »
Hello group,
    I'm new here and stumbled upon the SMACKS site while surfing. Elektro is recalling his boosters, with a rebate, to upgrade them to the Nickle plates.
                                                                                                       Akin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 20:16:41 pm »
Hello group,
    I'm new here and stumbled upon the SMACKS site while surfing. Elektro is recalling his boosters, with a rebate, to upgrade them to the Nickle plates.
                                                                                                       Akin

Thats nice from Smack, i ll gues... ;)

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 15:35:26 pm »
Steve and group,
     My point was that E is using this type of metal that's all. I do agree with you, do you feel it may be a viable plate material ? Will it hold up under the modulation of a PWM and tap/distilled water? How long might it last being exposed to electrolite without a PWM? (as I have not built a PWM yet? )
     On another note what would be the best/simplest cell to use on my 1988 dodge d100 pickup with a 3.9L/239 cu. in. engine with Throttle body injection. I am looking to replace the 4 jar system I currently have. Fuel is petrol/gasoline, and mpg went from 8 to 12 city--12 to 16 highway with the adittional resource use of a poor mans EFIE.
     Any help/suggestions will be considered and appreciated greatly.
                                                                                                   Akin

• 50+
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 17:42:03 pm »
Cupronickel is corrosion resistant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupronickel

Constantan has a negative temperature coefficient of resistance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantan

I have not yet found data on the coefficient of resistance of Constantan with temperature, but perhaps this allow can make use of the excess heat in a cell to lower the resistance of electrodes.

"...copper-constantan, has a Seebeck coefficient of 41 microvolts per kelvin at room temperature..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 22:06:36 pm »
I dont think that anyone here is having experience with nickel plates.
I tried to get some prices for 2 plates, so i can do some tests.
Man, that nickel is very expensive...'

PWM is always a good option to control current, if you have a good current controlling pm, of course.

Steve