Projects by members > Webmug

Resonance WFC measurements

<< < (2/25) > >>

Dynodon:

--- Quote ---When you said about the coils having capacitance and effects resonance,
the total capacitance Ct=(CpSec + CpChoke1 + CpChoke2 +Cwfc) is close to the smallest capacitance in the total series circuit?
This Ct and the Lt is the resonance frequency the VIC will resonate? Should Cp be in the nano or pico farad?

--- End quote ---

The capacitance of my choke is greater than my wfc's capacitance.So it has more effect on the resonance frequency.Only the positive choke is effecting the resonance frequency.The negative choke doesn't change it.

Choke capacitance could be in the uF range or larger.Measure yours and see what you get.It's a factor of the number of turns you have on you chokes windings.A coil with mulitiple row of turns has a greater effect on it's capacitance,than a single row of turns.What I mean is,lets say you have a single row of turns that measures 10 uF.Now lets put two rows of turns on that same bobbin that has twice the number of turns as the first.Will you have twice the capacitance? NO! Why?
Because the capacitance is between the wires insulation,and now with two rows ,you get the wires acting on the ones besides each other as well as the ones on top of each one.The capacitance grows fast with multi layers.

The gap of your cell is fine.Measuring a cell's capacitance is not easy,and I'm not sure whats the best way to do it.I use a B&K Precision meter that cost $300.And I'm not sure if it is even right.
What are you using,or are you just calculating?The later I don't think will work either.
Don   

webmug:

--- Quote from: Dynodon on March 10, 2011, 23:29:29 pm ---
--- Quote ---When you said about the coils having capacitance and effects resonance,
the total capacitance Ct=(CpSec + CpChoke1 + CpChoke2 +Cwfc) is close to the smallest capacitance in the total series circuit?
This Ct and the Lt is the resonance frequency the VIC will resonate? Should Cp be in the nano or pico farad?

--- End quote ---

The capacitance of my choke is greater than my wfc's capacitance.So it has more effect on the resonance frequency.Only the positive choke is effecting the resonance frequency.The negative choke doesn't change it.

Choke capacitance could be in the uF range or larger.Measure yours and see what you get.It's a factor of the number of turns you have on you chokes windings.A coil with mulitiple row of turns has a greater effect on it's capacitance,than a single row of turns.What I mean is,lets say you have a single row of turns that measures 10 uF.Now lets put two rows of turns on that same bobbin that has twice the number of turns as the first.Will you have twice the capacitance? NO! Why?
Because the capacitance is between the wires insulation,and now with two rows ,you get the wires acting on the ones besides each other as well as the ones on top of each one.The capacitance grows fast with multi layers.

The gap of your cell is fine.Measuring a cell's capacitance is not easy,and I'm not sure whats the best way to do it.I use a B&K Precision meter that cost $300.And I'm not sure if it is even right.
What are you using,or are you just calculating?The later I don't think will work either.
Don

--- End quote ---
I do measurements with a LCR40 from PEAK and also did calculations.
http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_lcr40.html

My wild guess is to make my chokes bigger for more capacitance but also I get more than 2000 windings.
If I wind 3000 on one choke bobbin I'm not going to measure above 1H inductance as your coils.
Who knows how many capacitance it has. More to learn and test...

But first I'm going to do a few more tests with my current setup.

@Dynodon,
How is your status with the VIC and WFC cell? Have you GATED your cell with 2kV?
My guess it should be low frequency. Any stepcharge?

Br,
Webmug

Dynodon:
The chokes I had that was giving me the 2kv,are no more.They were shorting out internally.So I tore them down and wound smaller ones.So I am no longer getting 2kv.I've been testing different ideas since then.Trying to get those unipolar pulses all positive with no negative swing like your seeing now.Alot more people are now finding resonance,like I have done over a year and a half ago.So now you guys are at where I was then.

I have tried gating with my set up and have seen step charging,but still have the negative component,and a sine wave.
Just need to get it all positive and frequency doubling.I have never seen frequency doubling without using full bridge rectifying.

I haven't been working on it lately,I have been working on my homebuilt airplane.I have put my plane project on hold for way too long.I finished my Gyrocopter last summer and had it flying,so now it's time to get back to work on my plane.
It's a WWII Corsair replica,half scale.It's about 3/4 finished.

Don

Donaldwfc:
Great to hear about your airplane and gyrocopter Don, thats cool stuff.

here is a picture of the RVIC waveform of a single phase, the right side is a fully unipolar core, and the left side is after one diode failed and the core was now ac

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/bigbuba/Picture21-3.png)

TonyWoodside:
hey Don,
If you read Stan's notes and patents he never really says what the resonant signal looks like. All he says is the input signal is always unipolar. If  you would look at one of the threads I posted in earlier, http://www.ionizationx.com/index.php?topic=1943.5 you will see how the pulse indicator circuit works and how it lets the PLL know when resonance occurs. The resonant signal in the LC circuit will always be bipolar no matter what.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version