Projects by members > Mina

Starting at the Genesis of Stanley Meyer's Work - The Demo Cell

<< < (2/25) > >>

mina:

--- Quote from: Donaldwfc on July 31, 2010, 18:58:24 pm ---Sounds Good, If you wish I can provide insight and drawings for how I replicated the construction of Stan's Demo Cell.

I'm just pointing out the most beautiful cell in the world is just a paper weight if you don't put the same focus and energy and money into the VIC and the Control and Driver Circuits.

--- End quote ---

Hi Donald,

Yes, I would like that very much if you would post drawings on the tubal array as well as insight into construction tips in order to save time and effort in building the cell.  I respect your work and input very much as you have been a very instrumental person and key voice on this site.  Your help is deeply appreciated.

Anyone else who also has additional insight, experience and may have even worked with Meyer himself is also invited to share their input and expertise too.  It can only benefit the viewers of this thread and its objectives in doing so.

And to the rest of those reading and following this thread; feel free to ask questions.  ANY questions.  I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.  When I can not (or if I am mistaken), I’m confident that someone else more knowledgeable than I with Meyer’s demo cell will step in and address your inquiries.  You will not be slammed for your questions no matter how silly they may seem to you.  Here’s your chance to learn, share and participate. 

For those of you who have very little tolerance for the ignorant; I ask you to please show some restraint.  Please remember that you were one of these people at one time in your development that used to ask these very same types of questions. 

I’m confident we can all get to the finish line and complete this project.  The key is getting there together.

Sincerely,
mina

mina:
The reactor assembly is where we might as well begin.  I have right in front of me the stainless steel tubes that I have purchased from a vendor by the name of McMaster-Carr.  The outer tubes are 0.75” in outer diameter and their wall thickness is 0.035”.  The type of stainless steel is type 304 and is seamless.  My cost was about $140.00 USD.  You could probably find a less expensive source if you shop around.  I have yet to cut the tubes to size but to the best of my knowledge, they should be 18” in length, but I am getting ready to cut them each 24” long in order to make a tab extending from the bottom that I can form into an upside down numeral “7” shape as Meyer did.

If these dimensions are off, feel free to say so but the drawings I have from Meyer’s patent appear to be typos.
The reactor housing I am making is constructed of cast acrylic tubing.  The tube is 6” in outer diameter and 5.5” inner diameter making it .25” wall thickness.  It is 36” in length however I believe Meyer’s housing was only 24” long.  The tube cost me about $120.00 USD from McMaster-Carr.  Again, not the cheapest source but simply more convenient for me logistically.   

I am using a longer/taller reactor housing in order to use the extra space at the top as additional hydroxy storage to act as a buffer for gas production later on.

Donaldwfc:
The outer tubes were 18 inches long and inner tubes 19 inches long. My best guess is the acrylic tube was about 30 inches tall.

The mounting tabs were welded on, not formed from the tube, that method will cause you some trouble.

If you are going to drill and tap the acrylic tube to bolt on the end pieces then you would want a thicker acrylic wall, 1/4 wall will likely crack and ruin the tube.

Here is a quick drawing of the base, the main idea is to align the tubes perfectly, and sealed without leaks

mina:
Thanks for the correction, Donald.  I was just now setting up to cut the tubes with a fiber bladed cut-off saw.  Luckily I haven’t made my first cuts yet.  You are a handy guy to have around  :)

Because TIG welding is required, I’ll have to send the tubes out to be welded.  I only have a wire feed MIG welder here at my shop/lab.  (Nice cell of yours by-the-way)

As far as the outer housing acrylic tube; I had a different idea in mind for sealing the end caps.  I bought some rubber “O” rings that are 6” in outer diameter that I was going to place in a piece of .75” flat plastic sheet with an “O” shaped groove routered in the middle of it.  For ease of construction, I was planning to use 4 pieces of .25” all-thread the length of the housing with four winged nuts at the top for the seal. 

Donaldwfc:
You may be able to Mig weld... maybe try it on some scrap SS and see how it turns out. And in any case, be sure the person welding is aware of the tubes warping due to heat. Especially with 0.035" wall thickness, you can melt right through that extremely easy. The tabs that hold my outer tubes up are 0.031" thick, they allow it to vibrate freely, and can't take too much power when welding.

The threaded rods are not as visually appealing, do you have a means of threading and tapping? Then you can use solid rods.
Acorn nuts look nicer than wing nuts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version