Author Topic: Latest Progress on my Resonant Cell  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

Latest Progress on my Resonant Cell
« on: November 09, 2011, 21:30:53 pm »
Well, back to mad science after a year long break. Can’t say I’ve made any progress.
The new Coil pack matches the winding specs. I switched back to ferrite for the core,
using 0.5” ferrite rods.

Added the Diode across the Primary coil. Now it acts like a true step up transformer
instead of a flyback.

Tuning around with frequency and gating generates an occasional tiny tiny trickle of
bubbles and some interesting noises, but not the generous results everyone hopes for.

With the Diode in place the current draw is apox 300 ma.
I have noticed the primary coil is getting hot. Will dig though my stash and add the resistor
Across the primary.

The only thing left I can think of at the moment is to fabricate thin flat ferrite cores aka Meyer.

Re: Latest Progress on my Resonant Cell
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 16:59:37 pm »
Looks like you have a nice set up :)
I'm also looking for a flat core.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 17:27:26 pm »
Thanks Dave.

It looks a little rickety but I have tried so many variations on coils and core that at this point I'm just trying to get some results. At least my pulsing unit is stable and accurate.

I have a friend who has access to a water jet CNC, but  I have not been able to locate flat ferrite. I have heard of custom cores home made by pouring copy toner and epoxy mix into a mold. Not ready to go there yet.

I knew when I started this project it would come down to the magnetics.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:24:47 am »
Same here, it soon become apparent after receiving the specs that the core Stan was using would be the hardest thing to get my hands on. I also have been looking for something along the lines of a ferrite sheet to have cores cut out of, but I haven't really found any. I purchased flat ferrite strips that I am planning on putting together in a U shape like you have done with the rods. Thats the best I can do for now.

What kind of diode are you using in between secondary and positive choke?
Have you been able to achieve the same inductance and resistance values as Stan's original vic with your setup?

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:47:01 am »
MUR8100
8 amps 1000v

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MUR8100E-D.PDF

My coils are 600 Primary, 3000 secondary and chokes. Don't have an inductance meter.

If you don't mind, can you PM me on the source of your ferrite? I have a plan to mount them if I can find some.
Those bobbins were for a laminate steel setup. I have some better ones on order.