Author Topic: VIC Discusion  (Read 13913 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

• Global Moderator
Re: VIC Discusion
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 18:16:07 pm »
ok

I meant any inductor, there, i tried to explain why a capacitor is a short circuit and why the energy disappear, to explain how inductor work.

Meyer said to maximize the capacitance, this would mean bifilar or a coil that is hard to wind called... i don't remember now the name, i think is bank winding...

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 19:01:26 pm »
One thing we haven't touched on yet is the "voltage multiplication on switch off" that the 6-1 coil sections provide, on switch off you have a collapsing magnetic field, but also the collapsing (or building?) electric field, it's like discharging the coil-capacitor into it's self, 14 times in a row, and the effect is not to have a huge current flow, but to have a huge voltage force while the electrons are restricted

i think of it as, if the electrons are trying to move, but they are being jammed between the discharging/charging coil/capacitor then they can't move, so the voltage potential energy for them to move sky rockets, and all this is attached at one end to the plate 

another point, is that the 6-1 vic has 14 coil sections, so does the alternator, (or maybe it has 12 depending on the stator, for each phase). this is just a comparison of the 6-1 VIC and the RVIC on how this "voltage multiplication on switch off" would exists in both systems, even though they look and are shaped different, the same electrical effect is working in both

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 21:45:09 pm »
Voltage multiplication on switch off means: flyback kickback effect!, when you let energy to be accumulated on the gap by having the diode closed during the pulse, what happens is that after the end of the pulse the field will collapse and you will have all the energy accumulated that wants to discharge all in once in the reverse direction. 

Important is that the diode conducts only during the off time, now is all about having a higher duty on than off this way you can charge more the core and it will have less time to reverse the pulse.

The speed of the discharge will depend on the resistance of the load, the higher the resistance the faster will be the discharge and the higher will be the voltage multiplication. The ratio of voltage multiplication depends on the turn ration combined to the relation of time pulse on and discharge time.

Time Period = L/R 

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 15:26:25 pm »
a parelle tank circut in resonance has 0 amp draw and infinite voltage potential.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 16:35:02 pm »
Hello crazyewok,

A Parallel tank circuit actually is essentially exactly the same as a series circuit, the thing is where is the load, where is the source of the energy and if current recirculates making of it a tank circuit or not.

You can have a parallel circuit drive in series and having a load in series or parallel or You can have a parallel circuit driven in parallel with a series or in parallel load. However is just a cyclic series circuit, and so as the current is able to recirculate, it is called a tank circuit cause it accumulate energy.

A series circuit normally have a series load or a parallel load, however it can be driven in series and in parallel too.

The parameter is if current recirculate or not. 

A parallel circuit driven in series mean that you will see by the input circuit 0 impedance so only the real resistance of the circuit. (ex: if you want to drive a resonant tank with 3 amps and it have a total of 3 ohms of series resistance, you will need 12v at the resonant frequency.

If you would drive it in parallel you would see maximum impedance, so you need to calculate the max voltage, having the Q factor or desired amps times reactance and drive it in parallel at the specific voltage.

In a series circuit witch actually is most times drive in series you will have 0 impedance at the resonant frequency so the source will see only the series real resistance in resonance.

So a parallel circuit aways need an energy input, or after Q cycles the energy will finish... There is not a such thing like 0 amps, nor infinite voltage, voltage is limited by the energy you input in the circuit and the breakdown rating voltage of the components.

If you take a resonant tank with lets say another coil coupled to it with a diode, during the off time of the diode the energy will be accumulated in the circuit, and when it reverse the polarity the energy of the circuit will discharge into the load. Ok  However this leave no place for the kickback action i my understanding. There is something there however.

Have you ever thought how is the magnetic field of a coil made of copper foil???

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2010, 01:51:16 am »
Hey I found some information. I want to give this person credit for finding this information for Stan Meyers used to describe a resonant charging choke. User name is kinesisfilms on WaterFuelCell. I found this information here and this was in mid 2008
http://www.waterfuelcell.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8412

He discusses a choke having its own resonance. Which what I have been discussing. Look at the pics for  better understanding.

In conclusion Stan Meyers saying a resonant charging choke was in the use of a Pulse Forming Network!!! It was right their even though he was not spelling it out for us in simple terms. lol  Just another example on the relation, it was not as a simple inductor.

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 02:03:54 am »
I do have a feeling when he was talking about LC resonance he was not clear on the true capacitance. The true capacitance is the coils capacitance combined with the WFC. This is also may be why he went and used smaller tube to create smaller capacitance to match with the coils capacitance.  The inductance is still the same but all coil inductance in series.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2010, 03:08:40 am »
I read those kinesis posts some time ago, we were discussing unipolar wave stan shows in the input of the vic, I found my alternator to give this output however i think the alternator got burned so i can't make further tests... Stan refer as pulse shaping network or circuit. Is same of a 99,999% dutycycle, witch return to the kickback effect...