Author Topic: The D-Drive Infinitely Variable Geared Transmission  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

The D-Drive Infinitely Variable Geared Transmission
« on: May 16, 2010, 00:46:34 am »
I typed out a dialogue before posting and somehow it didn't take. I'm too lazy to retype it so... It's simple which I really like.

feature=player_embedded#!

• Administrator
    • water structure and science
Re: The D-Drive Infinitely Variable Geared Transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:27:46 am »
Thats an amazing gearbox.
Great stuff Bubz!   :)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:15:19 am »
Yeah, I think the concept has real potential.  I wonder it it could be run backwards to provide a constant speed output from a variable input, as in a wind turbine application for constant freq generator

Turtle

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:14:08 am »
Wow bubs!!!! Awesome find...
just some things i think we can banter over here...

As the adjustments to the output seem to be from diverting power to the secondary the least efficient part of the point of gear boxes (moving the vehicle from stationary) would need to be able to be done in the same gear as top speed. This would be like trying to negotiate traffic having only 3rd gear and an endless clutch. I think that this maybe able to replace the clutch and possibly incorporate the alternator into it rather than have a constant on the engine (Bring on the chain timing belts!!!)  but not the gearbox itself.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:35:14 am »
Thinking about this more last night on how it could be used as a gear box... If you move away from "their" explanation of rotating the secondary to slow the output and this is how i envisioned it.

Primary input connect to 2x outputs in parallel. You then need the 2x outputs to be connected to a singular out put. This way the gearbox uses the principals of gearing to use either gear at a specific point. Not removing the need for a clutch(to an extent) or accelerator. I am seeing this as the outter "gear" as your sort of "1st" gear and the inner as your "top" this way as there is more torque required to move the "top" gear then the first at takeoff its like having one of the cogs stationary, as the car gains momentum it will become gradually easier to turn the "top" gear. This would require some sort of gradual resistance on the "1st"
gear to hold it steady to force the input to the "top" gear cog. As with no resistance on the "1st" gear it will simply rev out and there will be no force applied to the "top" gearing. Perhaps a conjunction of multiples of these may replace the whole Clutch and Gearbox setup but i can't see any efficiency gains, just a smoother ride.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:03:21 am »
To tell you the truth, I never really thought much of this replacing automobile transmissions as much as I look at it as something I can easily understand, repair, or even replicate for other uses like keith mentioned above. I first imagined a GEET setup used with this where throttling can be a problem. Most HHO systems have a throttling problem similar to the GEET and not to mention wind generators having variable speeds. I wonder if this could be implemented into electric vehicles somehow? Do electric vehicles use transmissions or are the all one speed?

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:18:55 am »
Most low-power EVs are direct drive.  Since an electric motor has an essentially flat torque curve, it can start at 0 rpm and just draw gobs of watts as it spools up.   Even diesel locomotives are direct drive electric motors.

Still, for newer electric cars, it may do well to adopt some sort of gearing, but I don't know.

Wheel motors seem to offer promise, but they  are hard to get unless you're a manufacturer

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/motors/hipa_drive.html

Turtle, still at it