Author Topic: Frequency doubling effect achieved!  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

Frequency doubling effect achieved!
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:10:35 am »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that I was able to get the pulse doubling effect using my 5 coil VIC and VIC driver.
Although I am getting the doubling it's not exactly as Meyer's shows. The problem I am having is the pulse lengths on the secondary side of the circuit are much shorter than the primary pulse lengths. So the doubled pulses are not meshing together as they should. I think this is due to the impedances not being matched and too little current flowing through the circuit.

What is interesting to see though is the pulse doubling reduces the capacitors voltage drop between pulses. When the double frequency pulses mesh together as intended the capacitor voltage drop between pulses is minimized. This allows the cap to charge to a high voltage will the least loss in the shortest amount of time.

feature=plcp
feature=plcp
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:33:16 am by HMS-776 »

• Global Moderator
Re: Frequency doubling effect achieved!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:10:46 am »
I achieved this pulse doubling like yours many times, with most  vics with the coils in the same core, but i'm afraid its not the doubling stan meant ...

good lucky HMS

Re: Frequency doubling effect achieved!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 14:19:59 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that I was able to get the pulse doubling effect using my 5 coil VIC and VIC driver.
Although I am getting the doubling it's not exactly as Meyer's shows. The problem I am having is the pulse lengths on the secondary side of the circuit are much shorter than the primary pulse lengths. So the doubled pulses are not meshing together as they should. I think this is due to the impedances not being matched and too little current flowing through the circuit.

What is interesting to see though is the pulse doubling reduces the capacitors voltage drop between pulses. When the double frequency pulses mesh together as intended the capacitor voltage drop between pulses is minimized. This allows the cap to charge to a high voltage will the least loss in the shortest amount of time.

feature=plcp
feature=plcp

I see you're using crocodile clamp cables for connecting the transformer.
Use them carefully because they have lots of capacitance. If you tune for SRF resonance at the chokes your cable is interfering big time!
I noticed when touching my cables connecting the WFC ,amplitude drops. PLL should be handy.  8)

But I'm afraid sebosfato said it right about the pulse doubling effect.  ;)

Feel free to post ideas!
http://www.ionizationx.com/index.php/topic,2474.0.html

Br,
Webmug