Projects by members > fastimports3

Looking for the right photocatalytic combination to extract electrons

<< < (2/4) > >>

Steve:

--- Quote from: fastimports3 on September 27, 2021, 04:28:10 am ---I built this before my 7 year vacation.
Solar Powered Water Fuel Cell

A version of Stan Meyer fuel cell. The inner cell has a flame sprayed coating of titanium dioxide and copper doped zinc sulfide. No electrical input and as of yet I have not tried to measure an output. I will post it when I get a measurement. It won’t be much at all given the bubbles being produced.

--- End quote ---

Thats a cool technologz, FI3..
What part is consumed during the process?

cheers!

fastimports3:
Hi Steve,

I don’t have the answer you’re looking for at the moment. The chemistry is complicated. I pulled this info concerning what I know for sure about what coatings are on the piece that generates under light. I made it by just trying different t mixes. There are a few other things in it like Copper doped Zinc Sulfide or glow in the dark powder. Also seems I should’ve fired it a couple times before using it to further cure it. After reading this I probably should’ve coated the TiO2 on top of the Ti4O7 and fired it on low temps to cure it to the surface of Ti4O7

Note : When the TiO2 is flame sprayed on the SS it turns into Ti4O7.

Info from:
http://tdma.info/what-is-titanium-dioxide/

As a photocatalyst, titanium dioxide can be added to paints, cements, windows and tiles in order to decompose environmental pollutants. As a nanomaterial (see below), it can also be used as a crucial DeNOx catalyst in exhaust gas systems for cars, trucks and power plants, thus minimising their environmental impact.

Researchers are discovering new potential uses for titanium dioxide in this form. This includes clean energy production.

As a photocatalyst, it has also been shown that TiO2 can carry out hydrolysis (breaking water into hydrogen and oxygen), and the collected hydrogen can be used as a fuel.

Info From
http://www.chinathermalspray.com/html/PRODUCT/list_15_1.html

The titanium black ceramic material has the following prominent characteristics:
      1. High electrical conductivity, similar to metal: Among them, the Ti4O7 phase, its single crystal conductivity can reach 1500 S/cm and its coating’s conductivity is better than graphite material’s in practical application.
      2. Excellent chemical stability and corrosion resistance: It has high stability in strong acids (H2SO4, HNO3, HCl even HF) and strong base solutions. For example, its semi-corrosion cycle can reach 50 years in 4mol/L of sulfuric acid at room temperature. It is the best chemical resistance conductive material.
      3. Unique electrochemical property: After hydrogen evolution and oxygen evolution, its electric potential is high, electrochemistry is stable and working potential window is very wide. This exceeds all common electrode materials. For example, in 1mol/L of sulfuric acid at room temperature, the difference between oxygen evolution potential and hydrogen evolution potential of the titanium black electrode is nearly 4. 0 V. This let it have good application prospect in area of positive and negative electrode, Electrocatalytic carrier and advanced oxidation process(AOPs). As the electrode matrix material, it can be electroplated, chemical deposition or coated various metal oxide or precious metal catalysts. And the chemical bonding with these catalysts is good. The catalytic activity is almost constant and the effect is excellent.
      4. Microwave absorption property: The titanium black have strong microwave absorption property under temperature of 800 ℃. This property is better than silicon carbide material’s. It is a new kind of microwave auxiliary heating material and microwave waveguide material.

geon:
so what? photocatalyst are known for decades even rust can be used as a photocatalyst but you have to use light not electricity to activate the photocatalyst

Oxides of titanium can adsorb a lot of hydrogen on their surface so for any reaction that evolves hydrogen  it cause the hydrogen evolution to be much greater, especially titanium with noble metals such as palladium and platinum.

fastimports3:
Hi Geon
  Yes everything you say about photocatalyst is correct they have been around for decades. Stan talks about a resistive coating in one of his patents. He does not go into what the coating is. Only that it is resistive. In parts of his manual Stan shows the interaction of photon energy and the water. The gas processor uses lights to operate. It appears Stan has left something out of the obvious but has hinted through illustrations and his patent dealing with resistive coating with a blank to be filled. The only thing that makes sense is a photocatalyst. Many people much like Ravi have tried different things to build up on the cells over time. And I’m not sure it was used on cells in water bath at all. However the gas processor has all the makings of a photocatalytic device that except the coating used. Adding ceramic glazes to the different photocatalyst also creates restrictive coating that should allow one to use high voltage with limited amp flow, like an electron gun in a old tv.

fastimports3:
It is this line from the patent number listed below that Stan leaves out a huge piece of info. The coating he mentions. Ceramics are often mixed with binders and the such.

“To alter the resistive value of the electron inhibitor 70/74, the resistive material 72 comprising a mixture with a binder is altered in the percentage of resistive material to binder. “

Taking from U.S. patent number 4,798,661

The electron leakage resistor will again raise the upper limit of 8.5 volts amplitude before breakdown as shown at L-5 of FIG. 8. In the generation of the hydrogen and oxygen gasses to an infinite limit, as yet not fully appreciated, the upper level of amplitude of the voltage is removed with the utilization of the electron inhibitor of FIG. 7.

In this embodiment of the current inhibitor connected to the inner plate having the negative voltage applied thereto, comprises a stainless steel sandwich 70/74 with a resistive material therebetween. The stainless steel is a poor conductive material and hence will restrict to some extent the electron flow. Other poor conductive material may be utilized in lieu of the stainless steel. The electron inhibitor 70/74 is connected in the same manner as resistor 60--between the inner plate having the negative potential connected to it and ground.

The resistive value of the electron inhibitor 70/74 is chosen empirically to a closest value, thereafter the total value of the resistance is fine tuned by the resistor 75 connected serially between the inner plate and ground.

To alter the resistive value of the electron inhibitor 70/74, the resistive material 72 comprising a mixture with a binder is altered in the percentage of resistive material to binder.

With reference to FIGS. 1 and 8, the pulse d.c. voltage of a repetitive frequency and the duty cycle pulses, together with the serially connected plate exciter techniques in the sequence for limiting the electron leakage is in relation to the positive exciter outer plate. The current inhibitor resistor 60 and the current inhibitor resistor 70/74 are in the negative voltage line connected to the inner plate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version