Author Topic: How to wind a VIC coil  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

• 50+
How to wind a VIC coil
« on: April 15, 2009, 23:38:18 pm »
Its now clear to me that this is the right way the bifilar chokes for the VIC spools.

If each section has both red and green , there is only 2  layers of double insulation between each-choke so things will start shorting out @ 4.5 KV and beyond . So if this is meant to go to higher voltage it has to be wound this way or it will short out .

With the coils wrapped in sequential order , there is no such problem .

But if you look @ it the way I do , and see a mirror transformer that was used to tickle the vacuum , there is no difference whatsoever whether you wind both red and green in same bobbins or not, it will be the same mirror image , since the coupling facotr is probably insane already .

One has double power going through cell , one has no power going throught cell .

So in the end , this is a good coil for the dreamer and the realist .

Re: How to wind a VIC coil
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:40:08 am »
so which of those two images is right now?

• 50+
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 14:52:31 pm »
so which of those two images is right now?

Both of them , they are the same

Im talking about the construction when you are making it . This sequential reb/green/red/green is the right one .

If each cavity is wound bifilar with both red and green wires , there will be dielectric breakdown of the enamelling .
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 15:27:30 pm by Dankie »

VIC Winding Woes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 06:47:21 am »
 :(

Well I make about 900 feet into 1,200 before I broke one bifilar wire.  So question is should I solder it togther and continue on or unwind and start over?

Thoughts please.
BW

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 17:25:03 pm »
burntwire:

wind slowly......and in all honesty wind by hand if your machine is not delicate enough.....i wound a 7.8kohm bifilar coil by hand and it was fine.....you may even wind it all the way with a machine with out any breaks only to find out that somehow the enamel was scraped and you nowe have a short.

FUN FUN FUN.

now about soldering it......that is completely up to you......im not sure of it's effects but you would have insulate that solder droplet.....but depending on the strength of the magnetic field produced by the coil i am not sure if the solder drop would TRULY screw things up.....i just always rewind rather then using bubble gum and bandades to fix things.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 17:39:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  The break was right where I crossed over from 1 winding to the next.  Machine is smooth enought I think I just got a little rough.  O well that's why we practice.
I'll post pic's this enving of the finished coil.
bw

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 14:28:29 pm »
Its now clear to me that this is the right way the bifilar chokes for the VIC spools.

If each section has both red and green , there is only 2  layers of double insulation between each-choke so things will start shorting out @ 4.5 KV and beyond . So if this is meant to go to higher voltage it has to be wound this way or it will short out .

But if you look @ it the way I do , and see a mirror transformer that was used to tickle the vacuum , there is no difference whatsoever whether you wind both red and green in same bobbins or not, it will be the same mirror image , since the coupling facotr is probably insane already .

One has double power going through cell , one has no power going throught cell .

Do  you suggest the same for the secondary as I notice this is also a bifilar wrap in stan’s pics

Bw

• 50+
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 17:50:44 pm »

Do  you suggest the same for the secondary as I notice this is also a bifilar wrap in stan’s pics

Bw

For the 6-1 , the secondary is just regular wrapped .

I dont understand coil 10-4 to tell you the truth , it makes no sense to me ...