Author Topic: HV Differential probes  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

HV Differential probes
« on: August 29, 2015, 05:22:22 am »
theres plenty of options on ebay as far as price range , personally I prefer 2nd hand stuff .
I cant stand retail prices , the whole concept of retail marketing is to sell something for more than its worth .
And these days everything being made in china , brand name doesnt mean a thing anymore

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=differential+probe

Online Login to see usernames

• Global Moderator
Re: HV Differential probes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 15:43:00 pm »
Hello massive i took a look into that but its just the same price if you look at it... and probably would take much longer to get here... so far non has also that voltage range..

i´m selling somethings here like nobreaks and old stuff we got from a closed automobil factory but the selling is almost zero... i have swiches... and television broadcast euipments but very hard to find someone who wold buy it...

hopefully soon i can get something sold.. and complete the donations to get a nice probe.. i already have a 40kv probe.. but is not differentiall..this probe i pay 150euros in 2006 and still good... and i´ll use it up to i get the other..  and after..

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 00:22:22 am »
I've started looking at patents for differential probes.  Here's one which looks pretty high end:

https://www.google.com/patents/US20140139205?dq=differential+probe&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDEQ6AEwA2oVChMI3s6p5aOnyAIVjzqICh2rCwRS

This allows the use of offset voltages, for extended range.  The patent gives the schematics for both the probe and the differential amplifier.  This shouldn't be too hard to build for someone with basic electronics skills.  However, I'm also reading that some skill is required for setting the distance between the probe's two input pins.  There may be other crucial factors as well, which could discourage someone from doing a DIY build.

I'll put in the time to check a little further, although this research isn't relevant to anything I need myself.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 02:36:41 am »
I will start keeping a look out for you guys too as the one I have isn't the only one on the market.

Why they are needed is Meyer set up and system that has an isolated side to it which has a variable impedance that changes with the weather quite literally as the water's dielectric value is temperature dependent. If you manage to get the system to start charging into the thousands of volts and touch it you will know it is constantly looking for a ground as both my partner and I got shocked quite a bit when working on this technology by accidentally brushing into it.

The differential probe I use fits well for this technology as even though it isn't rated to handle 20kv it is rated to handle 15kv which is in the middle of Meyer's said working voltages for the exciter array being 10-20kv: https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2H108/Pintek-DP-15K-Differential-Probe-35MHz-15kV/ It's a start as I have two other differential probes that are not rated to for these voltages and can't make use of them anymore as I have reached and surpassed their limit.

Shalom,
TGS
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:25:32 am by TGS »