Author Topic: Tube Cells and Isolation  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

Tube Cells and Isolation
« on: March 09, 2013, 15:21:52 pm »
Here's a thought mulling through my head.  Those of us with tube cells have used rubber and nylon screws and other "non-conductive" materials to separate our inner and outer tubes.

However, I am now wondering, how much of a charge do these actually insulate against as the voltage climbs?  In combination with the water, is it possible that voltage charge leakage is being lost across the very insulators we think we are isolating them?

Here is another thought.  Even if the insulators we are using are adequate, they could be becoming "plated" by the charges we are adding to the water with impurities that are conductive, again causing loss of charge.

I'm thinking, ideally, the tubes should probably be kept separated from each other externally so that the charge cannot leak at all in between the tubes.

Another thought is that the tubes should have absolutely NO sharp edges on them.  I was watching a science presentation on the Vander Graff generator and they demonstrated how the charge will have a tendancy to leak across a point.  The goal should be to minimize any sharp edges and scratches and have as smooth a surface as possible so that the charge has minimal points of escape.

Any thoughts on this?

TS
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 15:41:07 pm by timeshell »