Author Topic: Effect of different wire types, sizes and diameters...  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

• Global Moderator
Effect of different wire types, sizes and diameters...
« on: August 29, 2012, 16:38:48 pm »
Hello

I found an interesting condition when the secondary wire is made greater than the chokes in meters while smaller in diameter...

The first idea is easier to understand...

As the choke is there to synchronically choke the secondary voltage, the resistance of the secondary wire being of greater value starts making difference when current starts to flow within the circuit...

Lets suppose the voltage at the secondary is 1100 volts and it has 100 ohms resistance, and the choke has a negligible resistance and chokes out 1000 volts...

What happens..

If the current reach 1 amper the secondary is now only delivering 1000 volts since the voltage drop will reduce the output voltage... So no current can flow above that point being limited...

Doesn't it seems like a mechanism to have a transformer with controlled current limited?

Now if the choke has a resistive wire

If the secondary has a resistance lower than the choke...

Its known that amps flowing in the secondary will reduce its own voltage... but as the choke has opposite voltage a current flowing into it would sum with the induced voltage, so to also control the current... 

of course voltage drop at the diode should also be considered...

I was thinking about this because for my new vic i'm going to use a secondary wire thinner than the chokes wires, to be able to fit to the transformer the needed turns ...

Online Login to see usernames

• Administrator
    • water structure and science
Re: Effect of different wire types, sizes and diameters...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 16:55:26 pm »
Hello

I found an interesting condition when the secondary wire is made greater than the chokes in meters while smaller in diameter...

The first idea is easier to understand...

As the choke is there to synchronically choke the secondary voltage, the resistance of the secondary wire being of greater value starts making difference when current starts to flow within the circuit...

Lets suppose the voltage at the secondary is 1100 volts and it has 100 ohms resistance, and the choke has a negligible resistance and chokes out 1000 volts...

What happens..

If the current reach 1 amper the secondary is now only delivering 1000 volts since the voltage drop will reduce the output voltage... So no current can flow above that point being limited...

Doesn't it seems like a mechanism to have a transformer with controlled current limited?

Now if the choke has a resistive wire

If the secondary has a resistance lower than the choke...

Its known that amps flowing in the secondary will reduce its own voltage... but as the choke has opposite voltage a current flowing into it would sum with the induced voltage, so to also control the current... 

of course voltage drop at the diode should also be considered...

I was thinking about this because for my new vic i'm going to use a secondary wire thinner than the chokes wires, to be able to fit to the transformer the needed turns ...

I never have read anything like this, Fabio.
Great stuff! Some to think about!

Steve

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 17:17:39 pm »
Hey Steve

Seems interesting right?

Its quite hard to accept since the voltages output in transformers also vary with time, but the idea seems somewhat clear to me... That the current flowing condition may alter the conditions of current flow within the transformer itself.-

I'm trying to find something related about it in internet but no luck yet.

I only realized this now because i was only thinking static or quasi static conditions.. Since yesterday i'm thinking about it...

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:43:05 am »
Skin effect.

TS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:50 am »
No ts i'm not talking about the skin effect..

I'm saying that if you connect a two batteries with a resistor between, like one battery charging the other...  so the voltages in series kind of subtract right...

I'm saying that the difference in voltages will appear across the resistor which will limit the current, according to ohms law... There is nothing too special about it, its obvious actually.

however it can become a mechanism in the case of the vic as follows

is the same case for the vic because the chokes are coupled so the voltages across the coils are proportional to each other however if the resistance of the secondary is of greater value than the choke for example an as the current is in series thus the same in both circuits... the voltage drop due to the current flowing into the secondary will indeed take the system into equilibrium since in the limit where the resistance multiplied by the current is equal to the difference in voltage expected...

Some of this voltage drop happens not only at the secondary but also wherever there is ohms law in the circuit...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 06:37:19 am »
I think now it makes sense the equations of meyer for the impedance of the whole circuit...