Author Topic: New generator idea  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

• Global Moderator
New generator idea
« on: July 19, 2012, 16:28:50 pm »
I got a new idea and i'm going to describe it here for the record.

The idea is about how the unipolar generator from tesla works. And why is better than Faraday's disc. The implementations mentioned stated that would be clear to those with knowledge in the art.

The faraday disc generates low voltage high current from a set consisting of a spinning disk and permanent magnets and brushes arrangement. It has many inefficiencies like leakage where the magnetic field is not cutting the disk brushes and so on. And all can be solved by a simple modification.

It all starts with a flat spiral coil.

It eliminates the leakage and allow the generation of a secondary magnetic field function of current "consumption" flow. Forming an inductor it now can act as an air core transformer for delivering brushless power output. Being it the generator and exciter field coil the field is maximum aways. 

The basic idea is a set of 2 flat coil separated by a distance d, having opposite winding directions rotated at high speed in a rotor connected electrically to each other on the periphery and connected on the other rotor side with a special capacitor. The distance is to avoid cancellation of the magnetic field since they are opposite. No closed electrical loops should be formed in the rotor or would consume power.

The basics of this idea, is that since the rotation and magnetic field will create a voltage radially in the flat coil the current derived from this voltage can be set to generate a secondary magnetic field in one direction or in other direction while the radial counter emf field remains the same. It becomes clear than that the opposing emf can there to be totally cancelled by this secondary field while amplifying the initial field given the number of turns is greater than 3 thereto generating more energy the greater is the load given the rotation is in the right direction. I prefer to called it positive electromagnetic feedback. It its rotated in the opposite direction it should still work but there is a negative feedback added to it and it will thereto show back torque. 

If constructed as described it will form a resonant circuit that oscillate automatically at the resonant frequency. It just need to be kicked into operation, no external stationary field coils are required. Thereto to take output power out of it, stationary coils can be placed so there is no contact rushes other than bearings.

The greater the number of turns the greater the amplification increase as function of the load.

The generator being the inductor itself it becomes a negative resistance inductor as function of the current there to resonance can be made self sustaining while consuming virtually no power from the motor shaft.

One could want to drive this resonance externally to extract more power. Than a stationary tuned load circuit could be useful. The term extracting power apply here. 

This is the theory!

Is known from generators theory that the emf arise from a contrary magnetic field (opposing) to the exciting field that creates the magnetic drag effect. The current being induced by the magnet approaching or moving away induce a magnetic field that in the first  case create an opposing magnetic field and in the second an attracting magnetic field. In the faraday disc case the current generated creates a magnetic field that subtract the magnetic field, Tesla made this field be generated in other plane direction to be able to cancel it.

The rotor should be plastic for better efficiency... with a decent diameter as to have many holes or maybe being a tube so many sets of coils can be used having the wires passing inside of it... could be outside for the sake of simplicity in each side of the rotor stay all the coils with the same direction only but they are connected in series electrically with the other side coils....

As this is a Feedback system it can become highly dangerous being high voltages and currents present, the thing can explode components if not correctly designed. I just publishing this info for informative purpose and do not encourage anyone to try it. If you want to try is only your responsibility. 

The same effect can be made with a spinning solenoid too. But different possible shapes may exist.

• Administrator
    • water structure and science
Re: New generator idea
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 21:10:46 pm »
Hi Fabio,

Is it possible that you add some pictures or schematics to yr post?
It might provide us with a better " picture"  ;) so to speak...

Steve

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:04:35 am »
The idea is pretty simple

http://www.sc.ehu.es/sbweb/fisica/elecmagnet/induccion/homopolar/homopolar.htm

The voltage is = to the magnetic field times the angular speed times the radius squared divided by two. m.k.s.

The thing is that being the disc in the form of a coil the magnetic field of the current being consumed from the generator emf generate a magnetic field that further reinforce the field and emf and so on.

In one direction it will work and in the other direction it wont... simple as that... If rotated in one direction the magnetic field will add to the exciting field and canceling the emf counter field, if it goes to the other direction the counter emf will subtract from the field...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 13:43:06 pm »
http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/homopolar.htm#motors

Here they shows that it doesn't matter if the field rotate with the disc, what does matter is that the disc rotates.

The relative motion must be in relation to space time. The magnets only emanate its characteristics...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 18:16:49 pm »
I think maybe i was wrong about the direction issue... is may not be aways valid... Its valid when you are applying external fields... its very complicated to think about it with just few info.

This schematic can be arranged to have more spiral coils connected electrically in series to obtain more volts... Notice the voltage dependance on the radius...

Notice that the magnetic field of the coils are opposite so they tend to cancel each other so they must be separated by a distance.
Adding more spiral coils in series can raise the voltage but adding them sharing the magnetic field will be even better, there will be a electric gradient to be taken also horizontally! So lets say 10 spiral coils on the left connected in series to 10 spiral coils on the right to close the cycle. The wires return parallel to the axis...

Is important to add more spiral coils because than the length of the magnetic field in the axis of rotation direction will be greater... 

I don't know if its clear.. the smaller the distance between two wires carrying current the greater is the force, so it than we can modulate the geometric features of the coil to find the better configurations possible.

for example for generating the emf is better that the magnetic field be in the x direction the axis of rotation for sake of clarity, the spiral being the yz plane... to capture the emf at the zy plane at a distance r from the origin.

So is better that the proximity between two pancake coils sharing the same field is smaller than the proximity of the turns of the spiral. This way the magnetic field have different geometries according to the arrangement. This might be useful to understand if the thing simply don't work as initially thought...   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:34:06 am by sebosfato »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:50:29 am »
Tesla really was a genius if this work. Do you understand what i mean?

The internal resistance of this generator would be negative value! The greater is the current draw from it the greater is the field intensity and by consequence the greater is the emf derived from the rotation...

This mean that the generator running with no load condition has a lower emf than when loaded.

A very high bucking rotating field will be formed right in between the two sets of coils don't get surprised if a wormhole opens right there and bizarre effects happens... boo

I'm preparing my setup... I got some microwave capacitors to add in parallel and will try to make it work... I got a 25sqmm wire to make the spirals... Now i'm working on the axis and the motor that its going to drive it...

If the field is 1 tesla at 30cm radius and 5000rpm the voltage is 23,56volts... being two spirals it becomes 47v worth of power...

i don't know yet how to calculate the field of a spiral coil....

• Global Moderator