Author Topic: Figuring out the Steam Resonator  (Read 43987 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

Figuring out the Steam Resonator
« on: January 21, 2012, 19:58:38 pm »
I've been trying to figure out the steam resonator used in the buggy.

(http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Hms-776/Steamres1.png)

From the pic of the card it looks like resonance was used. (Lock in LED, Man Auto scanning switch etc)
However, the Tech Brief never mentions resonance with the steam resonator?
Anyone have a pic of the steam resonator card???
Does anyone here think resonance was or was not used? Why?

(http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Hms-776/steamres2.png)

The above picture contains the following:

-Transformer with 3 coils (6 wire ends)
-2 NPN transistors
-2 PNP transistors
-4 High watt resistors
-Bridge rectifier?
-Fuse

So if resonance was used the 3 coils are most likely 1 Primary coil, 1 secondary coil, and 1 pulse pickup coil
If resonance is not used perhaps there are 2 secondary coils. (perhaps to use what Meyer called 'Switchover' since there are 2 steam resonators in the buggy, 1 in the water tank, and 1 in the resonant cavity)

The primary coil appears to be connected to a bridge rectifier also...?

Re: Figuring out the Steam Resonator
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 21:30:46 pm »
That bottom picture with the bridge rectifier is clearly not part of the dune buggy system. All that can be determined is that it was for a system being built around the same time, as it uses the same aluminum heat sink as the VIC coils.

The steam resonator has a reference to "resonance" right in it's name! Resonance is used for amp restriction and particle oscillation between the plates.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 21:39:30 pm »
In the buggy there were 2 steam resonators. 1 in the water tank and 1 in the resonant cavity.

2 of the wires from the coil connect to a set of 2 high watt resistors. Each resistor connects to a NPN and PNP transistor. This seems to suggest that the coil operates on AC.

In an NPN transistor current flows one way while in a PNP transistor current will flow the opposite direction.
NPN transistors are typically places between the load and ground, while PNP transistors are placed between the source and the load.

From the drawings it appears that the plates in the steam resonator are not the load, the high watt resistors are. From the drawing below the plates appear to simply be a conductor?

(http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Hms-776/steamres3.png)

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 21:43:19 pm »
Donaldwfc, thanks for the input.

I think this was the steam resonator used for the buggy, but I'm not sure....Don had it in his pics....Here it is...

(http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Hms-776/steamres4.png)   

(Back Left side)

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:33:43 am »
Yes, I considered this before. It's in the same picture as the VIC system. Ask the question why would there be a AC bridge rectifier in a 12 VDC system? There wouldn't be. So it's something else... Not sure what system it is for.

I am not sure what is going on in that steam resonator diagram with the transistors... it does not indicate the switching signal for the BJTs below the plates. Maybe they are in sync with the other ones?

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:09:12 am »
Yeah, the bridge rectifier is confusing me the most with that circuit....I'm wondering if it's not a bridge rectifier, but it definately looks like one.

TonyW pointed out before that the circuit is similiar to a H-Bridge circuit used to control the direction of an electric motor.

I think there are many different ways of making the steam resonator work....I'm just wanting to know how this one worked.....

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:53:19 am »
The diagram you posted has 2 VIC coils to run one SR, yet in the VIC box with 11 units, it only has one 3-23 VIC for the SR. With a different switch over circuit you should be able to use one VIC. Or use two VIC coils and run two SRs at the same time as shown in the TB.

What are you thinking of building?

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:40:22 am »
Donaldwfc, thanks for contributing.

I think your right on about the steam resonator VIC.

As far as building...Not sure yet but hopefully I'll start building this summer....

I gave up a few years back after I spent over 1,000$ on useless crap....I realized at that time that I was not educated enough to replicate Meyer, now I'm feeling ready!

BTW, still have no idea why there is a bridge rectifier in the circuit?