Author Topic: Understanding the VIC  (Read 48473 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

• Global Moderator
Re: Understanding the VIC
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2011, 01:05:36 am »
Never heard of it.

Yes static and dynamic...

one in series with the secondary and the other with arrow countering the first and closing the circuit. like a full wave bridge rectifier but having only the two positive diodes... The chokes are simply connected as stan schematic.

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2011, 01:21:29 am »
Hi Seb,

I too cannot get my head around the diodes as you describe them.  How is the second diode connected again?  A picture would be helpful, much obliged.  I'm now running 8.5kv with my vic with little gas.

kb

• 50+
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2011, 09:18:56 am »
Hi Seb,

I too cannot get my head around the diodes as you describe them.  How is the second diode connected again?  A picture would be helpful, much obliged.  I'm now running 8.5kv with my vic with little gas.

kb

Can you give the schematic of your circuit?
thank
andy

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2011, 11:11:20 am »
Hi Seb,

kb

WOW is the 8.5kv across the water gap?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2011, 16:33:44 pm »
squegging i guess

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 17:18:05 pm by sebosfato »

• 50+
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2011, 17:37:57 pm »
Many thanks Sebos .
andy

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2011, 17:40:49 pm »
Seb,

Thanks for the drawing.  The probe is put to the positive plate only, I will not ruin my oscope by trying across the plates to negative.  It is accurate I believe.  The diode and mosfet speed are factors to getting higher PTP peaks.  I did get over 15kv for awhile but had a nice blue crackling short going on near the side of a coil.  When I fixed that it went to 8.5kv.  We need to insulate better for over 5kv
is what i am learning.

Ferrite is the only way to go.  All other core materials do not de-magnetize fast enough and give lower ptp voltage than ferrite.  I use eight ferrite rods in a staight balun inside three 1000' 28 gauge bobbins staight off the shelf for the secondarys and a 100' 21 gauge wrapped over the center primary in the middle of the three coils on the eight inch core. 

kb

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 19:05:26 pm »
TonyW,

I tested the continuity of my insulated WFC today.

Before I applied power to the cell I measured continuity each way (got a beep both ways).
Then I connected a 12VDC power supply to the cell for a few seconds.
Then I disconnected the power supply and measured continuity once again and only got continuity (beep) when the polarity of my probes was
the same as the power supply which was previously connected.

I think this is simply due to polarization, and the electron collecting at the positive plate. Not sure how long it would take for the relaxation to occur but I'm guessing at that point continunity would show each way again.