Author Topic: To Boycott or to Not Boycott BP  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

• Yes I got Jolted,
To Boycott or to Not Boycott BP
« on: June 20, 2010, 18:56:26 pm »
Hello all, today I saw on yahoo that some people are Boycotting BP.

It is a hard decision to make. on one hand I agree, they need to be punished for their mistakes. But on the other hand, if BP goes bankrupt, who will clean up all the leaked oil? YES this was a horrible accident and BP is at fault. but we need to look at the big picture. BP is cleaning it up, it is going to cost billions to do so. some estimate 100 billion. So what I'm saying is, if BP goes belly up, who will clean it up? most likely the government will have to do it, and when that happens who do you think will pay for it? We will in taxes.  the Best way to punish them is to keep them alive so they can clean all the crap up. Let them go bankrupt is the easy way out.

Once BP announced that they are committed to clean up their mess, I only buy BP gasoline. all of you should do the same.

• 50+
Re: To Boycott or to Not Boycott BP
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 20:15:07 pm »
I don't necessarily blame BP.  If they were allowed to drill in shallower water this wouldn't be as big of an issue or maybe not happened at all. 

You have to admit it is one heck of an engineering effort to start drilling a mile down from the surface of the ocean. To fix any issues that happen at a mile deep at those type of pressures is inconceivable to most people.   

I feel bad for the people that live around the affected Gulf areas.  It's hard enough to make a decent living and when something like this happens that can ruin your livelihood, it  can mentally break you.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 20:38:11 pm »

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:07:24 am »
I have not bought gasoline from EXXON since their oil spill.  I haven't seen them go belly up.  It's a personal decision each person has to make given all the information they can get pluses and minuses.  Before the Gulf Oil Gusher (not Spill) I bought BP gasoline mostly.  I have not since.  That's my choice.

Regards,
Andy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:51:46 am »
boycotting a company because of an accident seems a little rash in my opinion... you might want to look at a larger scale problem solutions to boycott a fuel company... BP was the first in Australia to have e10 & e5 available on a large scale. As e10 and e5 is a poor start it is also a start. Also all of their petrol stations (in Western Australia atleast) have large solar pannel on all their roofs and push solar power back into our grid. Again not a huge difference but still more than other companies. I also read (proberly on their website but unsure) they they are working with GM on fuel cell cars for release sooner rather than later...

But if you want to Boycott them because they have a driller and engineering stuff up on a rig thats fine, just remember that drillers and engineers tend to be in high demand so the clowns will get a job somewhere else.

• Yes I got Jolted,
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 16:38:25 pm »
boycotting a company because of an accident seems a little rash in my opinion... you might want to look at a larger scale problem solutions to boycott a fuel company... BP was the first in Australia to have e10 & e5 available on a large scale. As e10 and e5 is a poor start it is also a start. Also all of their petrol stations (in Western Australia atleast) have large solar pannel on all their roofs and push solar power back into our grid. Again not a huge difference but still more than other companies. I also read (proberly on their website but unsure) they they are working with GM on fuel cell cars for release sooner rather than later...

But if you want to Boycott them because they have a driller and engineering stuff up on a rig thats fine, just remember that drillers and engineers tend to be in high demand so the clowns will get a job somewhere else.

It is good to know that there are still some people in good common sense.

Let me just add that Boycotting BP will hurt more the local gas station owners.