Author Topic: toroid behavior puzzle to share  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

toroid behavior puzzle to share
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:13:30 am »
here's what I posted to Sebosfato tonight, yet you guys may be interested in voicing an opinion or sharing a learned answer.

Hey Sebofato,

thanks for the pll circuit...  I follow your ideas somewhat..

I read how you are winding coils with trials for acitivity and response.  Maybe you can explain this to me, or maybe someone else can who's reading this...

I've wound dozens of coils, rods, air, and toroids with various effects when pulsed with 130 volts rectified from my variac.

How is it that the best coil I've built for gas and back emf spike voltage is buit with a 4" toroid-iron powder mix 28 with an inner secondary wound of two wires in parallel as a single layer using 16 gauge stranded teflon wire with a primary wound over that of four layers of single wire 20 gauge stranded teflon wire.

They are both wound completely around the donut.  I don't use chokes.  Just the toroid alone currently.

Conventionally, one would think it would step down the voltage yet it shows the same voltage in as out.   My spikes are ranging between 640 and 680 volts with four similar but not exact toroids.   oh, at 12.5Khz  I've also found 100s of spike volts difference between different mosfets.  The current leader is the 600v, 6A, IRFBC40.

If you can explain this.. well,  I'd be obliged and impressed...

Offline Login to see usernames

Re: toroid behavior puzzle to share
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:21:58 am »
the only thing i can think of is the passivity of the semiconductor to the flow of current must be different..