Author Topic: My pll circuit  (Read 26424 times)

Offline Login to see usernames

Re: My pll circuit
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 20:45:40 pm »
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how I got it to scan and lock the first time I fixed pin 12.  It just worked when I turned it on the first time.  Since then, I have made 3 more coils, only one that worked equally well as the first and now I can't get either to lock and follow!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll probably try, as you suggested, a simple pll on my solderless breadboard and see what it does.  I'm also wondering if something else on my TW VIC circuit is burned out somewhere in the PLL circuit (I previously burned out some IC's when I shorted the feedback wire to the WFC power wire).  I'm not sure that the gate pulse and/or duty cycle works correctly either.

So frustrating.  It seemed like I was almost there.

On a side note, on my original 5 strand bifilar, I wound a new primary around it to step up the original 5 strands.  With the extra 2 strands I now had, I hooked them up in series with the strands I used as chokes.  It seems to make a noticeable improvement in production.  It also seems to corelate to Meyer's Patent on page 10-12 in hooking up chokes in series.

TS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 21:19:07 pm »
I got a high frequency burn on my hand hahah the spark jumped to my hand.-...

I think you could have burned some components..or coil... at this board the pin 3 is connected to the primary... with no zener protection i guess...
Find out how to test your components... and circuits...

I'm thinking about the sensibility of the feedback coil...

I think that if we pulse to hard the pulse indicator will pick this pulse not the resonance one... strangely when gating almost to 1 pulse i can see a kind of signal of different frequency following...

I guess mic transformer is already burned again... we smoked here...

many different strange noises when gating...

Tony answered to me and the correct pin was indeed the 12 pin, he simply made a mistake while making the boards...

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 21:33:59 pm »
I'm thinking about the sensibility of the feedback coil...

I think that if we pulse to hard the pulse indicator will pick this pulse not the resonance one... strangely when gating almost to 1 pulse i can see a kind of signal of different frequency following...

Agreed.  I have noticed a feedback that is not resonance.  That's why I made a video about it.  :)

I have found true resonance come on, there will be little to no faint flickering.  It should be a hard on for the indicator LED.

What I noticed that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is that even though my circuit was scanning  from 1kHz to 4kHz, it locked at 0.5kHz.  And when it moved out of range and rescanned at the original 1kHz to 4kHz, it still relocked in at 0.5kHz.  There must have been enough time between pulses for the circuit to pick up that frequency.  A shorter duty cycle maybe.

Still a lot to learn in how this stuff operates.  :)

TS

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 04:46:05 am »
I guess mic transformer is already burned again... we smoked here...

Is your primary the inside or outside coil?  If it is the inside coil that would be why you are burning it up.

TS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 04:56:23 am »
In my case there is no inside coil... 5 coil vic... what would be the problem having it inside?

sebs

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:38 am »
Anyone noticed it?

My board is wired to pin 11.

TS
Hey guys, lots happing here in this thread!
I'll checked my PCB and also pin 11 was wired instead of pin 12. Since this is a version 1 PCB.  8)

Regards

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:28 am »
Hope you enjoy...

if you know about others using this board version would be nice to alert them too....

Regards

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 15:06:17 pm »
In my case there is no inside coil... 5 coil vic... what would be the problem having it inside?

sebs

Any real VIC has at least 5 coils.  Just depends on how you wind them... :)

My experience with putting a primary coil on the inside is:

1.  It eats lots of amps

My experience with putting a primary coil on the outside is:

1.  It doesn't eat up lots of amps

My understanding is that the magnetic field generated by a coil is greater on the inside of said coil.   That being the case, you'd get better transference from the magnetic field when generating the magnetic field from the outside coil.

TS
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 16:46:35 pm by timeshell »