Author Topic: Holiday project  (Read 8877 times)

Offline Hidden

Holiday project
« on: July 22, 2010, 20:17:09 pm »

Got me a dry cell, power supply (60A max.) and a good old made in germany generator cheap from eBay which will make 1,7kW.
Trying to run this thing on HHO in the next months.
Hope Stevie gets his done soon so i can copy what he does  :D

Online Hidden

• Administrator
    • water structure and science
Re: Holiday project
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 22:03:26 pm »
Great stuff Haithar.

Is that a similar powersupply as the Anton groupe uses?

Steve

Offline Hidden

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 22:09:50 pm »
That is indeed the exact same power supply they use. It's also the most lightweight one and with the best price to power ratio.

Online Hidden

• Administrator
    • water structure and science
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:56:18 am »
That is indeed the exact same power supply they use. It's also the most lightweight one and with the best price to power ratio.

How efficient is that one?
I mean, try to hookup a load on it and measure consumed power and measure also the consumed power on the walloutlet side at the same time.
That would help me a lot!

Steve

Offline Hidden

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:56:41 am »

How efficient is that one?
I mean, try to hookup a load on it and measure consumed power and measure also the consumed power on the walloutlet side at the same time.
That would help me a lot!

Steve
i'll see what i can do.

Offline Hidden

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 13:21:36 pm »
Made some modifications to the cell, added a new bubbler and water reservoir. Also used a working flashback arrestor out of aquarium stone bubblers and fine steel wool. To make it even more secure in case of flashback arrestor failure an overpressure valve was added which would hopefully open in case of a slightly larger pressure than normal.
flame is working fine, when the cell warms up i can get 23V / 20A, but i'd like to have more volts and less amps. when i ever encounter a deal for ss316L plates like last time again i'll buy them.

we also have a powermeter somewhere here steve, when i have found it i'll do efficiency measurements of the power supply. i'm really impressed by this china scrap nevertheless, fan wasn't even necessary at 600-800W and it's not as warm as it could have been.

Offline Hidden

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 15:27:39 pm »
i'm really impressed by this china scrap nevertheless

haha they are making better and better stuff all the time, kinda scary isn't it?

Offline Hidden

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 17:34:06 pm »
i'm really impressed by this china scrap nevertheless

haha they are making better and better stuff all the time, kinda scary isn't it?
yes ;)

did some measurements today, power supply can handle max. 900W, tested till 450W.

As you can see both current and power is proportional to gas output, so there is no "sweet" spot to be found, the cell (when warmed up) acts as a linear resistor.
Sadly it's only about 4.7MMW, on the other hand there are various ways gas could have escaped and not being measured.