Author Topic: Oscilloscope  (Read 7772 times)

Offline Hidden

Re: Oscilloscope
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 16:32:42 pm »
Ebay has dozens of scope probes for around $20 most are 100mhz,they will work fine
Don

Offline Hidden

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 18:42:44 pm »

It was also called Heath and the modell number was not 10 -14 but IO-14... it was produced from 1966 to 1971

Here is a link to someone who got the manual : http://nrwilliamson.tripod.com/HEATHMAN.HTM

And here is one for sale for 10 Dollars : http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/1486144424.html

Offline Hidden

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 19:20:49 pm »
Thank you guys!

I sent an email to the guy with the Manual, also mentioned to him I need probes, hopefully I'll get some info back from him.

I don't know anything about probes, I'll spend a few hours reading about them and see if I can figure them out.

I think it would be kind of neat to get this working. I will keep myself open to other scope options.

Does anyone here run a PC scope? any suggestions?

Offline Hidden

• 50+
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 19:41:44 pm »
Probes are not very complicated , you connect the + and - to your  little input coax . Your oscilloscope too looks very simple  .Mine has like 50 buttons , half of them I never use , A manual is just too complicated , I played with it and discovered what buttons did what etc ...

Be careful with home made probes , they have inductance and leaves  little kicks and might make you think that theres  something wrong when theres not .

For a free scope that is good . A  PC scope is just pure crap , analog is just simpler to use and better quality .

Offline Hidden

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 20:08:05 pm »
I think this is the kind of probe it uses

notice the ends are split, and it plugs into two plugs on the front of the scope.

Now to find some...

Offline Hidden

• 50+
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 22:19:04 pm »
Dam , now thats something I never saw , a 2 piece probe lol .

Usually they are coax that you just snap in .

You will def not be able to buy one  like that , a home made  one will be good enough for your needs seriously , it  becomes a problem with fast rise/fall squares waves @ 100+ khz and the like  . 

If you were to design circuits and pulsing  devices then you would need a more modern scope , but for checking the waves from an alternator and the VIC  it wont be an issue .

Offline Hidden

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 22:27:32 pm »
Hmm.... how might i find out how to make a home-made probe?