Author Topic: Coil Winder  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Hidden

• 50+
Coil Winder
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:19:12 am »
This is a coil winder I made.

Here is a video of it in action.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 18:23:59 pm by Hardkrome »

Online Hidden

• Administrator
    • water structure and science
Re: Coil Winder
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:41 pm »
WOW...very impressive!
That would have cost you some hours to make.. ;)
Steve

Offline Hidden

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 20:05:29 pm »
Nice! Very professional looking.
Bet it works real good too.

Offline Hidden

• 50+
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 21:13:45 pm »
I saw this post last nite but didnt respond .

I am very very impressed by your electronic and mechanical skills .

You are an  AAA builder that is 4 sure .

I study this kind of stuff @ school , I would be interrested in purchasing a machine from you if your prices are reasonable , there is much tools I dont have access too here .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 21:29:06 pm by Dankie »

Offline Hidden

• 50+
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 23:32:09 pm »
It took 3 months to make the winder. I had to do a lot of prototyping to see what worked. Especially the trolley.

The winder is a prototype. It works well.  There are some improvements that I'll put into the next one I make.

The counter came from allelectronics, I hand made the box it is in along with the buttons. The board is in the top section of the winder.

The main drive is out of an inkjet printer.

The wire tensioner was also made twice before I got that right.

Offline Hidden

• 50+
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 23:42:54 pm »
It took 3 months to make the winder. I had to do a lot of prototyping to see what worked. Especially the trolley.

The winder is a prototype. It works well.  There are some improvements that I'll put into the next one I make.

The counter came from allelectronics, I hand made the box it is in along with the buttons. The board is in the top section of the winder.

Well I guess it would cost you more to makie than an already available one on ebay

I have seen cheap small ones for 300$

the good ones are 1000$ and above .

Offline Hidden

• 50+
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 00:11:39 am »
I have 60.00 into it. I made it late last year, I was off work for 2 months when I cut my finger half off.

Those will work well but you might need to make some parts for them Dankie.

The boards cost about 45.00, the bearings cost 10.00 and some circuit parts cost the rest.

The next one I make will have a different box with all the controls and counter vertically mounted to the left where the display is. The boards will all be put on one board. I wanted to try a rack and pinion for the trolley drive with magnetic switches in the trolley, instead of the mechanical ones.

Offline Hidden

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 23:33:11 pm »

Thats pretty impressive work you did.  I was an electronics engineer fresh out of school and straight into the computer garage era back when Apple hadn't even come out yet.  Intel representative noticed we were purchasing certain chips from them and came to our house in Los Angeles holding Apples first computer and told us we have competition!  Now that I'm up in years I'm in Stan Meyers garage looking around and thinking we need to take action on some capabilities we're missing for the moment.

In order to follow the tech. brief for 38awg 430 f/31 wire to be twisted thousands of feet at a time without breaking I came up with a new prototype I think will work.

I hope you will leave feedback for the idea and let me know if any of you think we could make this happen:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/805268116/1810618606?token=539571d1

Thanks.  Ron.